How Trusting In God Helped Me Overcome My Fear.
Fear is a defensive response to a dangerous situation. It can help us avoid being hurt or even save our lives. What do we do when fear stops us and limits our potential when it makes us ignore the opportunities life presents to us, and we stop expressing our feelings and desires because we fear rejection?
We all experience fear in every aspect of our lives. And many of us have suffered the consequences of staying silent because we are afraid.
How hard it is to be selfish! How hard is it to think in ourselves first, right? It is hard when we want to put ourselves first be we don’t dare to do it.
We often think about other people, in what they might think, feel or even suffer because of our desitions. Get paralyzed by fear, stay silent, and avoid deciding without knowing we choose to suffer in silence.
Because when we don’t decide, we give other people the power to decide over our lives. Making us spectators of our own lives while watching from afar the fruits of the opportunities we let pass by.
We have infinite potential, but often fear limits us from reaching it. That thought of not deserving, of people being hurt by our fault, of not getting the collective approval, or that maybe we are crazy because of our way of thinking. And we repeat over and over that we can’t, that it will fail, and that we can’t risk everything we have worked in our life just because we want something.
And that mentality makes us settle for less than what we can achieve in life, without daring to take risks to reach our dreams. We stop dreaming and just pass by life, accepting anything it trow us in the face because we are too afraid to act.
No! We can’t just accept life thinking it was the one chosen for us. We can choose to write each chapter of our lives and take control of it.
God didn’t put us in this world to be beaten by life and defeated by fear. We are predestined to more significant things; we all have a purpose. But it is our responsibility to find and fight to reach it.
It is time to act, to start moving toward our dreams and goals. We need to put our faith in action.
“Faith by itself, if is not accompanied by action, is dead” (James 2:17).
So we can’t ask God to take us to any place and stay sited waiting for it to happen. If we don’t stand up and start walking, we won’t get there. Because if we do nothing, nothing will happen. God doesn’t tell us; he will carry us to our goals. He tells us that he will be by our side. He asks us to:
“Cast all our anxiety on him because he cares for us” (1 Peter 5:7).
What good does believing we can, saying we will achieve our goals if we don’t act towards it?
Let us think about our potential: we have to grow and become the best version of ourselves. Not to look nice before people or be recognized by them. Because our real greatness is the one God planned for us, that person we are predestined to become. But we don’t reach because we stop; we stay silent and don’t decide to act upon it.
Because often we wait for things to come to us instead of making them happen. And we have been blessed with many things that reach us because of other’s decisions, and as easy they came, they leave — leaving us hurt and broken.
We can’t settle with the crumbs of life, with the leftovers just because we are afraid, and that fear holds us back. It is challenging, complex, and sounds cruel to think about our happiness first. Saying “I want” is often seen as a selfish act.
But what good is it to us being a people-pleasing person, and when we are alone and take our masks off, we crumble into pieces because we put everyone’s happiness and comfort before our own. And we regret not listening to what our hearts ask of us.
We need to start learning how to be selfish and think of ourselves first. Because even if we want to help people, we can’t because it is impossible to give what we don’t have.
Fear will always be there, but that’s what it is about. It is about being brave to do it even if we are afraid. Let us just do it. It doesn’t matter if our legs tremble, our hand sweat, or our voice breaks. And then if we fail, if we make a mistake, we just try it again because all our failures are lessons as long as we stand up a try again.
We only fail when we quit, when we stop trying. So, let’s stand up even if everyone says it is too risky. Because with more risk, the bigger the reward. And if the reason tells us we have a 99% probability of failing, do it for that 1% chance because there is a reason to try if there is even a little probability.
Because life is not about goals, it is about what we learn on our way to them. They give us direction, purpose, and a destination. What makes us grow, building our personality, and add value to our lives are the hardships we face in the journey. We do not just exist in this world, we are the result of our decisions, of what we do. If we do nothing, we will achieve nothing.
But how we overcome our fears? How we stand up and act upon our goals?
Fear is just the result of over-thinking before any event. Let’s visualize it as making a line to ride a rollercoaster. We see the cart moving fast and hear people screaming while riding it. Our hearts start to beat fast, and we have to think about breathing.
The longer the line and the waiting time, the bigger the anxiety we feel. We start to think about the worst thing that can happen if something goes wrong. We contemplate the option of leaving the line.
Our friends start making jokes, and slowly we begin to forget our fear. We reach the end of the line and the fear return as we sit in the car; it feels overwhelming, but the only way out is to go forward.
We suppress our fear, and the cart starts moving, building the tension in our chest, but when the cart is at the peak at the scariest point. The fear disappears for some seconds; there is no fear, there is no anxiety, we reached our goal, and the ride is over and in the past.
We need to start to surround ourselves with the right people. People that encourage us to be better, to work for our dreams. We need friends that add value to our lives. And start letting go of those things that don’t add anything positive to us.
To face our fear and move towards our goals and dreams, we need to start changing our thinking. Decide to enjoy the journey and exchanging our negative thoughts for knowledge that help us grow. Lest focus on making ourselves the best version of ourselves, only focusing on the things we can control and leave the ones we can’t control in God’s hands.
Comment below on how you overcome your fears.